Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Putting the GPS away

Hello!

I suppose I haven't given you many details about life here.  I don't know if you care, but here are some det's anyway!

My daily view:
Kinda pretty, right?  And that view is all around me, when the view isn't obstructed by buildings!  This is all I see (minus the clouds) on my 40 mile ride (each way) to and from work (in the middle of NOWHERE) everyday.  I've actually started to enjoy the ride - it's so different and beautiful! (In it's own way... not like NC or anything.)

Speaking of work... it's SO cool.  I'm learning a lot and it's just incredible the amount of planning and work that goes into this thing!  I'm slowly picking up electrical engineering terms like "ductbank" and "3-phase power" and making them part of my everyday conversations.  (Still interested in my job? haha).  A daily part of my job is watching out for the desert tortoise and rattlesnakes!  Still no sightings :(

A basic intro to the project:  This is a solar thermal plant with 3 units.  Each identical unit has almost 60,000 "mirrors" that reflect light to the top of a tower, which boils water to make steam, which drives a turbine and produces power.  When all 3 units are running, we'll have ~330MW (net).  Simple enough, right?.... HA. HA.  Moving on.

The job has also completely flipped my formerly negative views on unions. I am already understanding some drawbacks, but for the most part, it's going great.

Anyways.  This (boring) blog yet again brought to you from McDonald's and their free wifi... Or perhaps I just go hang out in the parking lot to use their free internet.  I'm not above that.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are giving us updates! Yes, it really is beautiful there. The work sounds really cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emenem!!
    Love the pics and i totally wanna come visit you once you settle in. How's the apartment hunting?
    Thanks for the updates. Keep em coming.

    Aunt Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, it's funny... I don't think I've ever actually used the term "three-phase power" at work and I work for the utility... Anyhow, good job. Glad to see you're becoming the best kind of engineer.
    -Shuford

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three phase power is actually pretty cool stuff. For some reason I read a ton of stuff about power transmission engineering when I was in highschool after we built a tesla coil with a lineman for our physics class.

    ReplyDelete